NoCyberHate

Saturday, April 02, 2005

First Day as Scholar-in-Residence at TMF

Yesterday was my first day at the Third Millennium Foundation (TMF) office as the first-ever Scholar-in-Residence with the Seeds of Tolerance initiative of the International Center for Tolerance Education.

While in residence, I will be finishing my book on hate groups online. (I wrote a previous book, White Lies, about hate groups in print media.) The goal is to get a draft of this finished by June, 2005. Today, I reorganized a bit and got some actual writing done.

After I complete a draft of the book, I will do a small qualitative study with high school students, getting their reactions to some of these websites. The plan is to do these interviews over the summer.

Based on this research, I will develop and pilot a curriculum for high school students that I'm calling "Internet Literacy for Tolerance (ILT)." I'll start work on this in Fall, 2005.

As the projects develop and unfold, I'll write some about them here.